Hooked

Do you ever discover a new craft or hobby and end up spending all your free time working on it? Well that is what has happened to me. This past weekend Noah and I paid a little visit to Jo-Ann.

20120821-083458.jpg

Our original mission was to buy supplies for a project I am working on for the master bedroom. Well, we bought the supplies as well as a few other things we found as we accidentally strolled through the entire store. Does that happen to anyone else? Somehow we ended up in the crochet section looking at all the cute patterns for baby clothes. I just couldn’t resist and ended up buying a pattern book and hook.

All in all it wasn’t that expensive (under ten bucks) because I didn’t have to buy any yarn. I had some yarn on hand because my cousin sent the leftovers of hers that she used to make Noah a baby blanket. Which is adorable!

I found a pattern in the book that was labeled “Easy” and used one of the colors of yarn that I had. The book had a few instructional pictures so I figured I would have this thing down in no time. Wrong! Several hours into Friday night (real cool huh?) I had made little if any progress. One reason was because apparently instructions for crocheting are given in notations. Even after Googling, and watching YouTube I was still in the dark about some of them.

So, after much frustration I decided maybe I should start with something a little easier. A “Beginner” pattern (hang my head in shame). After a little searching on the web I found this so not cool pattern for a reusable gift bag. As boring as it was it did help me understand a few of the stitches a little better and feel like I was actually making progress.

20120821-083509.jpg

Which finally led me to the decision to give the cute little sweater I was trying to make for Noah a second try. After carefully re-reading all the instructions again yesterday and giving the sweater a fresh start I can confidentially say I am making a little progress! Yay!

It’s still a long way from being finished (if that is even possible) but I do have several rows of stitching completed now and feel much better about all the time I have invested into it. So far I have really enjoyed the challenge of learning something new. Last night I even stayed up way past my bedtime and pinned all kinds of crochet patterns on Pinterest. If this sweater turns out successful I will have a fun new hobby.

Does anybody else crochet? If so tell me about it. I have a new appreciation for this art now. Or maybe you have another hobby that you are addicted to. What kind of craft do you love to spend your free time working on?

For more Color Transformed Family follow me on

Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or RSS.

Linking up at:

Simply Helping Him, Momity, Imparting Grace

For more Color Transformed Family follow me on:

Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Hometalk,
or RSS.

Enter your email address below to receive new posts via e-mail.:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.

Did you like this? Share it:

20 thoughts on “Hooked

1. Melanie

I’ve been wanting to crochet for awhile now, but I haven’t picked anything up yet to do so. Maybe i’ll venture in the crocheting aisle the next time I go to the craft store. & Don’t worry, I usually walk around the entire store three times, before telling myself to get the hell out of there before I spent too much 😛

2. Trista

Good for you! I haven’t tried crocheting, but I’ve done some knitting. In high school I got on a kick and knitted several scarves, but then totally forgot how to! My mom got me a knitting kit several months ago and I sort of tried to re-teach myself but it seemed harder than I remember! I guess it’s true that it’s easier to learn new things the younger you are?

I definitely want to get back into it. I would love to be able to make Ruby home-made clothes! Honestly…I don’t see it happening anytime soon though. Too busy…but, one day! Maybe when I’m a grandma and have to do the grandmotherly thing! 🙂

1. Krystle Post author

Friday night when I was crocheting with my glasses on and hair pulled back ML told me I was going to make a great grandma. I was thinking whoa hold on a minute… Noah’s not even one yet! Haha!

1. Krystle Post author

I figure if anything it will give me something to do on road trips this fall. I used to read all the time but ML gets sleepy if someone doesn’t talk to him.

3. Kelly @ Corner of Main

Good for you for learning something new! I taught myself how to knit a while ago…you’ll get better in time! I used to know how to crochet (as a child my mom taught me), but I have since forgotten. Sometimes it’s hard to follow patterns though. Now I want to knit my baby something!!

1. Krystle Post author

That’s so cool that you know how to knit. You have plenty of time to knit something for your little one. Yesterday afternoon I made major headway on my project. By major I mean I crocheted five rows and it actually looks right this time! I won’t tell you how many hours it took me to get that far though.

4. Misty

I tried my hand at knitting…alas it is not my gift! That’s ok 😉 Thank you for sharing and linking up at Simply Helping Him! Blessings!

5. KIsha

Been Crocheting since I was a little girl 🙂 LOVE this and it is my ‘strictly’ winter hobby. I put it away when the weather gets warm, and by the time school starts, I’m itching to get back to it 🙂 Holding off at least till October, but I can’t wait!

It takes practice, but you’ll love it once it clicks. Take a look on YouTube for tutorials, there are some really good ones, I follow Bob Wilson (she’s from Australia) and a couple others. They give the basics really well and are very user friendly!

Good luck – looking forward to seeing your projects!

Kisha @Sunflowergal74.blogspot.com

1. Krystle Post author

I have watched several YouTube videos and they have been very helpful. It makes a world of difference to watch someone crochet verses just looking at the diagram in the book. Thankfully, I am finally starting to make a little progress on the sweater. I am having so much fun learning this new hobby.

6. gina

I crochet! I learned to crochet in a little 4H class after moving from suburban Florida to a small town in Missouri from a little elderly lady who made us homemade hot chocolate after we walked through the ice to her house after school! 😉 It was the beginning of an adventure for me and I’m still here, with mixed emotion LOL. But, after 30 years of no crochet, my children left the nest (college, college graduated + job), and I picked back up my hook. I started with a sock monkey hat for my niece’s new baby. Thank heavens for the internet and You Tube. It helps when you aren’t sure how to read instructions. I did it and now I’m hooked again. I also use ravelry forums to ask questions and that’s a huge help.

Have fun and know that once you pick up a few stitches, you will be able to use this skill forever.

Lately, I’ve made some wonderful dishcloths. I know… doesn’t sound so exciting but by using cotton blend yarns, they work as good as magic erasers for scrubbing walls, spots on the floor, etc. That, and they are quick so I love that!

1. Krystle Post author

YouTube is very helpful. I don’t think I would have been able to pick up crocheting if it wasn’t for the internet. I am happy to report that I am starting to make a little progress on the sweater I am working on. I wish I had a little old lady who made hot chocolate teach me how!

7. Pingback: Sweaters for Apes | Color Transformed Family